The baby toilet: Hygiene and prevention
This is an important moment sometimes dreaded by young parents. How to provide a healthy lifestyle for your infant and take care of his fragile skin?
Rêves de Libellule gives you some tips to adopt on a daily basis to help you take better care of your baby.
This is one of infants’ favorite moments. Babies enjoy stretching, wiggling and splashing around in the water!
Give them a moment of relaxation by following these tips:
- Make sure the room temperature is between 22°C and 24°C. The water in the bathtub must be heated to 37°C.
- Prepare all the essential products and equipment beforehand to have them at hand when bathing.
- Soap your child, starting with the head before moving on to the rest of the body, then the buttocks and the genitals. -
- Never leave your baby alone in the bath.
It is not necessary to give your baby a bath every day. Doing it every 2 to 3 days is more than enough.
However, it is recommended that you wash your baby's face, neck, hands and buttocks several times a day.
As far as bath time is concerned, we advise you to avoid as much as possible the late hours which risk overexciting your baby or, on the contrary, tiring him at the end of the day. For example, you can do it right after the meal, when your baby is calm and awake.
Washing the baby’s face
Get a glove or cotton pad soaked in water (if the tap water is very hard, use mineral water) and mild soap and start by washing the outline of your baby's face. Gently pass the glove over the forehead, cheeks and chin of your baby.
If his skin is very fragile, you can opt for a suitable cleansing milk. Do not forget to clean behind the ears and around the neck; dirt tends to nestle in the folds. In order to clean the neck properly and carry out the baby's toilet, we recommend that you place a hand on his back, between the two shoulder blades and lift him slightly in order to access all the surfaces of the body gently, without risking hurting your child.
- wash your hands and use saline solution. Mineral and tap water should be avoided as they may contain germs.
- For optimal cleaning of your child's nose, ideally lay him on his side (or on his stomach) making sure that his head is held to the side, this will prevent the saline from getting into the wrong ducts, thus risking blocking your infant's airways.
- Gently place the tip of the dose head at the entrance of the nostril while making sure that the baby's mouth is closed.
- Then, press the pod to release the liquid and wait for all the secretions to drain.
- Finally, wipe your baby's nose with a disposable tissue.
Baby changing and intimate toilet
Before the meal or after? How often ? What products to use?
Here is all you need to know when you change your baby's diaper.
As a general rule, the change is done as soon as the diaper is soiled by urine or stool, which usually corresponds to mealtimes.
That said, it is important to check the condition of your infant's diaper every 2 to 3 hours roughly. As for the choice of diapers, we advise you to opt for brands using natural products, respectful of baby but also of the environment. If you see your baby crying or feeling unwell, it may be due to a dirty or too tight diaper. Thus, changing the diaper regularly prevents the appearance of irritation and redness on your little one's bottom and allows you to take good care of his sensitive skin.
When changing the diaper, start by placing your baby on his back in a lying position. Remove the dirty diaper and use products specially formulated for toddlers.
Wipes containing alcohol, perfume or irritating ingredients such as boric acid or essential oils are to be avoided.
You can opt for a cleansing cream or oleo-limestone liniment, a product made up of lime water and olive oil specially designed to gently remove stool residue from your baby's bottom. This product does not rinse off and cleanses the skin well thanks to the lipid protective film, isolating the skin from the acidity of urine and stool.
Whether it's a simple wash, a diaper change or a bath, all you have to do is adopt our daily tips to guarantee your baby good personal hygiene and allow him to grow up in a healthy environment.